With Halloween right around the corner, the costumes will be sewing and the candy will be flowing! This means that it is time to start thinking about how to manage your family’s sugar and fat intake. Halloween is exciting time full of fun treats and festivities but it is key to remember that managing our sweet intake can help prevent holiday weight gain. A great place to start is to remember the following four tips this Halloween!
1) Divulge: Let yourself and your family members have a few (3-4) smaller pieces of their favorite Halloween treats that evening
2) Divide: Divide the rest of the treats amongst the next few weeks
3) Distribute: Enjoy the rest of the treats in small portions (2 pieces) over the next several weeks
4) Detox: When having the treats later, pair with a healthier items such as skim milk, string cheese, low-fat yogurt, or fruit
Another great way to decrease sugar and fat during this time is to create healthier Halloween treats to consume and distribute. You don’t have to create elaborate recipes to put a healthy twist on Halloween. It can be as simple as selecting food items that are lower in calories, fat, and sugar but still taste great! Some examples include:
- Peanut butter crackers
- High-fiber granola bars with dark chocolate or dried fruit
- 100-calore snack packs
You can also create the following simple recipe that is easy, healthy, and has traditional Halloween components! Happy Halloween!
Popcorn Trail Mix:
1) Mix unbuttered popcorn, almonds, your favorite dried fruits, and dark chocolate chips together.
2) Portion into 2 oz. bags (1/2 of snack size Ziploc bag) and distribute!
Written by Kristen Hess, Dietetic Intern with Urban Nutrition, LLC